Scales & Ales Podcast
Southern Hills COO Nick Sidorakis Shares Details of $20 Million Country Club Renovation
- Nick, did I read that you’re the two-time Club Champion at Shackamaxon Golf & Country Club in Westfield, New Jersey? Not only are you an allstar manager, but I’m sure you can get out there and teach the pros a few things…
- Southern Hills Country Club is one of Tulsa’s premier landmarks. People travel from all over the country to visit and play the course. Golf Digest ranks it Top 100 courses. What are the factors that contribute to such a world-class establishment?
- You worked at the Marriott organization, what did you do there?
- What was the thing you learned the most working with Marriott?
- The country club was already beautiful, and then the members decided upon some little renovations, just a few…$20+ million in renovations. What’s going into these renovations?
- What are you most excited about for the reopening of the country club?
- Southern Hills has hosted a number of tournaments. What were a few of the most memorable experiences from the tournaments that you can remember?
- 2001 USGA Open Championship – Retief Goosen
- 2007 PGA Championship – Tiger Woods – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_PGA_Championship
- 2009 USGA Amateur Championship – Byeong-Hun An
- What’s the hardest / most difficult part about hosting the tournament? What are some of the upcoming events that you’re most excited for Southern Hills to host.
- 2021 Senior PGA
- You have the 2030 PGA Championship
- How are you seeing the sport of golf change over the time that you’ve been at the helm of Southern Hills?
- Is golf getting harder as a sport as competition increases?
- Nick, tell us about the sponsorship of First Tee
- How long have you been in some type of management position? Not just at Southern Hills.
- Talk to us a little about how you manage your people?
- What qualities are you looking for when you are evaluating a new employee?
- Chupp – I heard that you grew up in a family that owned a restaurant at started working in the dish pit at 13? My parents operated a construction and I had to work early on in life as well, how do you think that early entry into entrepreneurship shaped your adult work life?